Rethink. Rebuild. Renew.
Sustainable Long Island is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance economic development, environmental health, and social equity for all Long Islanders.
As a catalyst and facilitator of community planning, Sustainable Long Island works across the region with leaders and residents of Nassau and Suffolk County for the betterment of all Long Islanders.
Over the last 60 years, Long Island was built and matured without adequate planning, leaving an aftermath of suburban sprawl, fragmented transportation systems, depleting natural resources, segregated neighborhoods and schools, a lack of access to affordable goods and housing, and deteriorating downtowns.
To address these needs, Sustainable Long Island works each day to advance sustainable development — community and regional planning that integrates current and future needs for:
- Economic Development: promoting economic growth, specifically in low-to-moderate income communities
- Environmental Health: pursuing sustainable uses of resources and remedying negatively impacted areas
- Social Equity: advocating for equal opportunities, fair treatment, and meaningful involvement
Sustainable Long Island partners with all community stakeholders, to empower our most distressed communities, the ones that are left out in times of prosperity and are hit hardest in times of decline, to demand that they have access to:
- A thriving economy
- A healthy environment
- Viable transportation methods
- Clean land, water and air
- A racially and ethnically diverse population
- Parks, community centers, and recreational opportunities
- A range of housing options
- Vibrant downtowns
- Safe streets & neighborhoods
- Quality & affordable food
- Employment opportunities and well-paying jobs