Programs internships are geared to those interested in community planning and environmental initiatives with a focus on community outreach and public engagement. Sustainable Long Island is looking for interns to assist with a wide range of planning and advocacy issues, related to community revitalization, brownfield redevelopment, environmental justice, and food equity. The role will involve supporting staff in advancing current and future projects through best practices research, policy and code review, assistance with community meetings, and administrative tasks as needed.
Programs internships are open to freshman through senior year undergraduates and graduate students currently enrolled in a college/university. Students must be willing to work flexible hours, approximately 8- 12 hours per week including evenings and weekends for special events as necessary.
- Must be able to commit to one full semester (fall, spring, or summer) or a 10-15 week period at minimum.
Yearly internship cycles are as follows (but can vary depending on circumstance):
Fall internships: September – December
Spring internships: February – May
Summer internships: June- August
- Willing to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Must have reliable transportation; willing to work 8-12 hours a week.
- Previous community engagement and survey experience a plus.
- Must be highly organized and be able to work independently to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Microsoft Office skills are required, including Excel. Strong analytic and research skills preferred.
- Freshman through senior year undergraduates currently enrolled in a college/university.
Compensation: $10/hour for evening and weekend work; and academic credits in compliance with your academic institution and/or volunteer hour certification as per supervising agency.
To Apply: Please send your resume and a brief cover letter, addressed to Arielle Miller, Grant Writer & Educational Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the e-mail should state “Programs Intern.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.